Rewiring a house might seem expensive, but as a homeowner or landlord the cost of ignoring the warning signs can lead to fire, failed insurance claims and even prosecution. Here’s what to look out for:
1. Flickering or dimming lights
Flickering or dimming lights is often a sign your house needs rewiring. If there’s a constant change in power going to your lighting, it’s usually a tell tale sign your house needs rewiring.
2. Burnt out sockets
Voltage fluctuations may cause light bulbs to burn out their sockets. If this has happened, it’s a sign you may need to rewire your house.
3. Sparking outlets
Although sparking outlets can be normal, they also present a problem. Short circuits build up excessive heat melting insulation, this can lead to electrical fires.
4. Discoloured outlets or switches
Sparking outlets or switches lead to discolouration. This can be caused by a loose connection or faulty wiring and can lead to sparking, possibly a small fire which leaves outlets or switches discoloured.
5. A faint smell of burning
If there’s an electrical short near a switch, you may well notice a burning smell that you can’t find where it comes from. If the wiring in your house is old, you should speak with an electrician as soon as you can.